Wednesday, March 28, 2012

FAQ #1: What is the difference between PUL and ProCare?


PUL on the left, ProCare on the right


I’ve been getting this question a lot lately, so I thought I’d write some thoughts on the subject. First let me say a little about my decision to offer both products as waterproof linings in my wet bags. It all started when I began making snack bags for my daughter. I was constructing them out of PUL with the non-shiny side facing the pouch where the food would go.

Shortly after I started making these I was bombarded by information stating PUL was not food safe and that I should NOT be using it for snack bags. What?! After doing some reading I discovered that many vendors use ProCare as an alternative lining in snack bags because it is considered food safe.

At the same time I was also doing a lot of research on 2mil PUL. I had ordered some for use on some special order wet bags for a customer. I was impressed with the weight of this PUL and found it to be far superior to the 1mil PUL I was used to using. It was especially useful for the hanging wet bags, because it helped the bag to hold its shape even after hanging with a good amount of weight inside. The problem was the price. I was only able to find the 2mil PUL from 2 companies and it was significantly more expensive than the 1mil PUL.

I wanted to offer something to my customers that was a heavier weight waterproof lining, but I didn’t want to have to charge more for the product. After some research and investment I was able to purchase ProCare at the same price as the 1mil PUL. This was the perfect solution for me as a vendor because I could now offer a heavier weight waterproof material and a “food safe” option for those wishing to use the XS wet bags as a snack bag (see my notes on food safe below).

Here are a few words on ProCare and PUL- I hope it helps to distinguish the two.

PUL stands for polyurethane laminated fabric. It is laminated on one side and polyester interlock fabric on the other. The PUL I use in my wet bags is 1 mil in thickness. It is lightweight, breathable, stretchy and waterproof. PUL can be thrown in the wash and dryer (No Bleach or Fabric Softener, and no Softener Sheets in dryer). The PUL I use is made in the USA, 100% Latex Free, CPSIA Approved.
ProCare is similar to PUL, but there are some major differences. The ProCare I use is made in Canada, the company describes it the following way:

“ProCare is a durable barrier fabric commonly used in the medical, diapering and veterinary care markets. Use this durable fabric anywhere you need barrier protection and frequent sanitizing. Procare is stable in stretch and recovery, and does not shrink. (it is not as stretchy as PUL) This fabric meets duty, laundering and material safety standards for use in medical and institutional products - it is CPSIA compliant and very tough & durable - good for 300 industrial washings or 1,000 home washings!!!”

A note about food safe:
The company that makes this ProCare fabric claims that it is foodsafe - it is BPA, phlalate, and lead free. We should remember that this company is based in Canada. I am unaware of the standards in Canada for stating that products are “food safe”, it should not be assumed that this product would also be called “food safe” in the USA.



PUL on the left, ProCare on the right



I think I can summarize with the following:

PUL is an excellent waterproof fabric for diapers. It’s ability to breath and stretchy nature lend it well to this application. It also works well for wet bags. It is lightweight, so the bag itself is lighter to carry in a diaper bag.

ProCare is also a great waterproof fabric. It is heavier in weight than PUL, so it is best used with large sized wet bags. Because of its heavier weight, it is a little stiff and it keeps its shape better than a bag made with PUL which may be beneficial for bags that will hang on a door or hook. ProCare may also be a better choice for a wet bag that will hold food because of the Canadian claims that it is food-safe.

2 comments:

  1. Is Procare easier to sew than PUL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More info on ProCare:

    Certified Safe: CPSIA compliant, meeting stringent standards by the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission on lead and phthalates and flammability.
    It is also certified for food contact and storage per 21 CFR 175.300 and 175.320 is compliant with CPSIA sections 101, 108 and 16 CFR Part 1303 for lead and phthalates and flammability for laminated textiles per 16 CFR Part 1615.
    Super durability: Our proven extrusion coating process creates a safe, waterproof barrier that is tested to remain supple and impermeable after more than 300+ washings.
    Can be wiped clean with sanitizer.
    Cost effective: ProCare® waterproof fabrics last at least 2 to 3 times longer as imported fabrics, representing a significant savings on a cost per use basis.
    100% eco-friendly. Manufactured with minimum environmental impact.
    Versatile: Perfect for use in food, veterinary and medical products including snack and lunch bags, aprons, tablecloths, changing table pad covers, bibs, pet bed covers, mattress protection sheets and covers, bed pads, and other incontinence products.
    Fabric Content
    75% vinyl (proprietary formulation), 25% polyester

    ReplyDelete